Monday, January 1

Korppoo, Finland Photos - Fall 2006

We took a two-week trip to Finland to visit the in-laws and some friends in September, October.

Here are some photos that I took during a trip to the Island of Korppoo, which borders the edge of the Turku Archipelago.

Click on the photo to see a larger version.

(First Ferry)



(Second Ferry)


(Population under 900. We saw at most 20 people.)





(Pumping water from a rock?)

This was an all day trip. It rained the first two hours that it took to get to the city of Turku. It took another two hours to get to Korppoo but at least the scenery during the drive was great. Oh, and the ferry trips were free which is odd considering that you have to pay for most everything over there. I can see myself living in the islands off the mainland. The wife however can't. I find that strange considering she is the one who grew up in the forest. Can't get more isolated than that!

Note: There was a reason for traveling to the island, just in case you were wondering why I traveled so far just to take five pictures.

(All Photos copyright Fred Fry 2006. Of course!)
-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fred: I really liked your pictures of and getting to Korppoo. My mother is from Korppoo and was sent over to
Sweden as a child during the war with Russia. As children we spent most of our summers on this beautiful Island. I have many found memories and now also a reason to start visiting this beautiul island yet again. Alex