Seeing a large group of illegals is nothing new given how long they have been hovering around Home Depot lots. However at U-Haul, while they are kept off the property like at Home Depot, they are right on the sidewalk that borders the entrance and unlike at Home Depot, they are actively trying to proposition for work.
This put me in the odd position of how to react to their shouts for work. My initial reaction was to do what I normally do when I see large gatherings of illegals, which is to ignore them. Since they were asking for work I wondered if I should reply and that is when I got annoyed at being put in this situation. Because where are we going to draw the line? If I start saying no thank you, is it just going to encourage them to spread their services? What next? Local hardware stores? How about at the supermarket? How about if they start freelancing at self-service gas stations for tips? Some of these suggestions are silly, but the point is that this is going to get worse before it gets better.
A person (including a group of persons, business, organization or local government) commits a federal felony when he:
- assists an alien whom he should reasonably know is illegally in the U.S. or who lacks employment authorization, by transporting, sheltering, or assisting him to obtain employment,
- encourages that alien to remain in the U.S., by referring him to an employer, by acting as employer or agent for an employer in any way, or
- knowingly assists illegal aliens due to personal convictions.
Penalties upon conviction include criminal fines, imprisonment, and forfeiture of vehicles and real property used to commit the crime.
Anyone employing or contracting with an illegal alien without verifying his work authorization status is guilty of a misdemeanor. Aliens and employers violating immigration laws are subject to arrest, detention, and seizure of their vehicles or property. In addition, individuals or entities who engage in racketeering enterprises that commit (or conspire to commit) immigration-related felonies are subject to private civil suits for treble damages and injunctive relief. - Link
Two more thoughts:
- - I expect that you'll start seeing illegals going house to house looking for work in some areas, This is regardless of whether they are legalized or not.
- - With all the dirty tricks playing out in Congress at the moment on the lies about how this Health Care reform is going to save us money, just wait until they legalize all the illegal aliens and then give them free health care...
Explanation: 'Universal' Health Care First - Then Mass Amnesty
I Told You So: 'Obama: Legalize illegals to get them health care'
"Even though I do not believe we can extend coverage to those who are here illegally, I also don't simply believe we can simply ignore the fact that our immigration system is broken," Mr. Obama said Wednesday evening in a speech to the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute. "That's why I strongly support making sure folks who are here legally have access to affordable, quality health insurance under this plan, just like everybody else.Mr. Obama added, "If anything, this debate underscores the necessity of passing comprehensive immigration reform and resolving the issue of 12 million undocumented people living and working in this country once and for all." - Fred Fry, 27 June