Thursday, June 17

So I was on the 'No-Fly' List (Says TSA)

I have mentioned here before my constant problems traveling and confirmation more than one time from Airline staff that I was on the no-fly list.

Well, it took this last trip where a BA Official came to my seat on the plane in Dulles prior to takeoff to confirm that I actually was on the plane (And ONLY ME!) before loading my bags to seriously consider looking into petitioning to get my records cleared. About that time I saw a story of a kid who was having fly list problems and how persons can petition to TSA for redress:
DHS Traveler Redress Inquiry Program

The DHS Traveler Redress Inquiry Program (TRIP) is a procedure for travelers who are delayed or denied boarding of an aircraft, consistently receive excess scrutiny at security checkpoints, or are denied entry to the U.S. because they are believed to be or are told that they are on a government watch list. The traveler must complete an online application at the Department of Homeland Security website, print and sign the application, and then submit it with copies of several identifying documents. After reviewing their records, DHS notifies the traveler that if any corrections of data about them were warranted, they will be made.

Travelers who apply for redress through TRIP are assigned a record identifier called a "Redress Control Number". Airline reservations systems allow passengers who have a Redress Control Number to enter it when making their reservation.

DHS TRIP may make it easier for an airline to confirm a traveler's identity. False-positive travelers, whose names match or are similar to the name of a person on the No Fly List, will continue to match that name even after using DHS TRIP, so it will not restore a traveler's ability to use Internet or curbside check-in or to use an automated kiosk. It does usually help the airline identify the traveler as not being the actual person on the No Fly List, after an airline agent has reviewed his identity documents at check-in.

DHS TRIP is often accused of being defunct and existing only to appease civil rights organizations without having any actual effect. - Wikipedia
Here is the letter I received. while it is a little ambiguous whether changes were actually made, given the problems that I have had, I would suspect that they did make changes. (Click image to enlarge)

I guess I will know for sure if anything has changed when I fly next. At least I hope my next check-in does not take a half-hour because the gate agent first needs to get me approval to give me a boarding pass. Even better if I can start using online check-in again!

Of course I would suspect that people actually on the 'no-fly' list who should be on the list get the same exact letter...
--------------------
Add to Google
--------------------

No comments: