How does al-Qaeda think this will benefit them:
We have noticed that the best of these wars to be ignited is the one between the Americans and Iran
Consequently, to embroil America in another war against another enemy is the answer that we find to be the most appropriate, and to have a war through a delegate has the following benefits:
1. To occupy the Americans by another front will allow the resistance freedom of movement and alleviate the pressure imposed on it.
2. To dissolve the cohesion between the Americans and the Shi'a will weaken and close this front.
3. To have a loss of trust between the Americans and the Shi'a will cause the Americans to lose many of their spies.
4. To involve both parties, the Americans and the Shi'a, in a war that will result in both parties being losers.
5. Thus, the Americans will be forced to ask the Sunni for help.
6. To take advantage of some of the Shia elements that will allow the resistance to move among them.
7. To weaken the media's side which is presenting a tarnished image of the resistance, mainly conveyed by the Shi'a.
8. To enlarge the geographical area of the resistance movement.
9. To provide popular support and cooperation by the people.
The possibility of acquiring new weapons from the Iranian side, either after the fall of Iran or during the battles.
By executing exploding operations in the west and accusing Iran by planting Iranian Shi'a fingerprints and evidence.
By declaring the existence of a relationship between Iran and terrorist groups (as termed by the Americans).
By disseminating bogus messages about confessions showing that Iran is in possession of weapons of mass destruction or that there are attempts by the Iranian intelligence to undertake terrorist operations in America and the west and against western interests.
Text of al-Zarqawi Safe-House Document - Breitbart.com